Our interests are above referred to oxidative stress, redox regulation in normal and tumoral cells. In particular, our studies are developed mitochondrial redox regulation especially in relation with glutathione and thioredoxin systems. Thioredoxin system- thioredoxin, thioredoxin reductase and peroxiredoxins-is analyzed also in relation to redox signalling. Inhibitors of thioredoxin reductase such as metal complexes are evaluated and consequently the redox state of the protein targets are investigated.
A second topic of interest is the role of antioxidant molecules in human nutrition.
J Med Chem Award 2012
5 recent publications
- Bindoli, A., Rigobello, M.P. Principles in redox signaling: From chemistry to functional significance (2013) Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, 18 (13), pp. 1557-1593.
- Schuh, E., Pflüger, C., Citta, A., Folda, A., Rigobello, M.P., Bindoli, A., Casini, A., Mohr, F. Gold (I) carbene complexes causing thioredoxin 1 and thioredoxin 2 oxidation as potential anticancer agents (2012) Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 55 (11), pp. 5518-5528. (Highly Cited Article of 2012 for Journal Mecinal Chemistry)
- Bindoli, A., Rigobello, M.P., Scutari, G., Gabbiani, C., Casini, A., Messori, L. Thioredoxin reductase: A target for gold compounds acting as potential anticancer drugs (2009) Coordination Chemistry Reviews, 253 (11-12), pp. 1692-1707.
- Casini, A., Gabbiani, C., Sorrentino, F., Rigobello, M.P., Bindoli, A., Geldbach, T.J., Marrone, A., Re, N., Hartinger, C.G., Dyson, P.J., Messori, L. Emerging protein targets for anticancer metallodrugs: Inhibition of thioredoxin reductase and cathepsin B by antitumor ruthenium(II)-arene compounds (2008) Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, 51 (21), pp. 6773-6781.
- Marzano, C., Gandin, V., Folda, A., Scutari, G., Bindoli, A., Rigobello, M.P. Inhibition of thioredoxin reductase by auranofin induces apoptosis in cisplatin-resistant human ovarian cancer cells (2007) Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 42 (6), pp. 872-881.
- Rigobello, M.P., Scutari, G., Boscolo, R., Bindoli, A. Induction of mitochondrial permeability transition by auranofin, a Gold(I)-phosphine derivative (2002) British Journal of Pharmacology, 136 (8), pp. 1162-1168.
- Rigobello, M.P., Callegaro, M.T., Barzon, E., Benetti, M., Bindoli, A. Purification of mitochondrial thioredoxin reductase and its involvement in the redox regulation of membrane permeability (1998) Free Radical Biology and Medicine, 24 (2), pp. 370-376.