- Discovering Padova
- Il Bo
1971: University of Padova, graduated in chemistry cum Laude
1975: University of Padova, graduated in biology cum Laude
1975-78: long-term EMBO fellowship at the University of Cambridge, UK (PD Advisor: J.C. Metcalfe).
1978-1983-1986: Assistant, then Associate Professor of General Pathology, University of Padova
1986-2018: Professor of General Pathology, University of Padova
1992-2011: Coordinator of the Ph.D. Course in Cell Biology of the University of Padova”.
1994-2002: Director of the National Research Council Center for Biomembranes in Padova
1999-2004: member of the EMBO Council for two terms
2001-2014: member of several Scientific Councils in Europe.
2004-2010: Deputy Director of the Scuola Galileiana of Padova
2012-2017: Member of the Observatory of Scientific Research of the University of Padova
1998-on: member of the Editorial Boards of several peer-reviewed scientific journals
Prof. C. Montecucco studies the mechanisms of action of presynaptic protein neurotoxins that cause neuroparalysis and the inter-and intra-cellular signalling events that drive regeneration after peripheral neuroparalysis in mammals.
Performed research stages at:
Institut Pasteur, Paris, EMBO Fellowships (1984 with J.P. Changeux and 2002 with M. Mock),
University of Utrecht EMBO Fellowship (1990 with Ben de Kruijff),
EMBL in Heidelberg EMBO Fellow (1997 with M. Zerial),
Universidad de Costa Rica Visiting Professor (2008 with JM Gutierrez).
1993: Award of the Shipley Institute of Medicine, Harvard Medical School for achievements in
1994: elected member of the European Molecular Biology Organization
1998: Award of the Italian Consortium for Biotechnologies for achievements in the study of
bacterial toxins and vaccines.
1999: elected member of the Academia Europeae.
2000: Award of the Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Hygiene und Mikrobiologie.
2003: Award of the Masi Foundation.
2004: Feltrinelli Prize for Pathology, Immunology and Microbiology of the Accademia dei Lincei.
2004: elected member of the German Academy of Science
2006: elected member of the “Accademia dei Lincei” of Italy.
2008: elected member of the American Academy of Microbiology.
2009: Redi Prize of the International Society on Toxinology
2009: Hatheway medal of the IBRCC for research on botulism
2009: elected member of the European Academy of Microbiology
2011: Ehrlich and Darmstaedter Prize for Medicine of the Paul Ehrlich Foundation.
2018: Career Award of the “Italian Network for Botulinum Toxin”
Special Lectures, 2006-2011
- june 1st, 2006, Keynote Lecture at the Italian Society for Proteins, Pavia, Italy
- june 24, 2006, International Lecture on the “Biology and Pharmacology of Botulinum Neurotoxin” , Merz Foundation, Rostock (Germany)
- jan 26, 2007 Keynote Lecture at the Medical Academy of Turin, Italy
- feb 28, 2007, Special Seminar on the Mechanism of action of snake presynaptic PLA2 neurotoxins, Istituto Butantan, Sao Paulo, Brazil
- may 4, 2007, Special Seminar on Presynaptic Protein Neurotoxins at the International Center for Genetics and Biotechnology of the United Nations, Trieste
- july 13, 2008, Keynote Lecture at the Gordon Conference on “Microbial Toxins Pathogenicity”, Proctor Academy, Andover, N.H.
- jan 20, 2009 Keynote Lecture at the XV Congress of the Italian Society for Toxicology, Verona, Italy
- march 16, 2009 Redi Lecture at the World Congress of the International Society of Toxinology, Recife, Brazil
- oct 21, 2009 C. Hatheway Lecture amd Medal at the 46th Congress of the Interagency Botulism Research Committees (IBRCC), Alexandria (VA)
- nov 18, 2010, Keynote Lecture at the Congress of the Brasilian Society for the Advancement on Biochemical and Immunological Research, Belo Horizonte, Brazil
- june 18, 2011, EMBO Lecturer at the XV European Congress on Bacterial Toxins, Oslo, Norway
- july, 2011, special Paul-Ehrlich year lecture at the Paul-Ehrlich Institute, Frankfurth
- jan 10, 2013, Special Lecture at the Rome Medical Academy, Rome, Italy
- Keynote Lecture at the "Venoms" Congress, Oxford sept 24-26, 2013
- Trento 28-30 september 2014, International Congress on Pore Forming Toxins in memory of G. Menestrina, keynote speaker, organizer and chairman
- Plenary Lecture Speaker at Toxins2015: World International Neurotoxin Association Conference on Basic and and Clinical Aspects of Botulinum Neurotoxins. Lisboa jan 14- 17, 2015
- Plenary Lecture at the SITOX, Milan 18-20 march, 2015
- Plenary Lecture at the “International Society for Toxinology” Triennial World Conference, Oxford, sept 24-30, 2015
- Plenary Lecture at the annual congress of the British Group for the Study of botulinum neurotoxins 18-19 sept, 2016.
- Speaker at the G20 meeting in Leipzig, Leopoldina National Academy of Sciences, Jan 24 e 25, 2017.